Duration: 4 Days
Destinations: Cusco – Sacred Valley – Machu Picchu
This Machu Picchu Peru Tour offers the most complete travel itinerary for Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. If you are looking to immerse yourself in the history and culture of the Inca Empire, this is the tour for you!
The historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1983, was hidden between the Andes and the Amazon Basin until 1911, when the American explorer Hiram Bingham discovered it. Located at the top of a mountain, Machu Picchu is a colosal masterpiece of arquitecture and engineering, one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. It is a unique, magical and mystical place like no other. Machu Picchu is certainly the highlight of this tour package.
The itinerary also includes a tour around the city of Cusco, a multicultural place where past and present live in harmony. You will learn about the ancient culture of the Incas by visiting their main constructions such as Sacsayhuaman, Koricancha, Kenko, Pucapucara and Tambomachay. Sacsayhuaman is built in such a way that a single piece of paper will not fit between the stones. It is noted for an extensive system of underground passages which connect the fortress to other Inca ruins within Cusco.
This Machu Picchu Peru tour continues with a visit to the Sacred Valley of the Incas, an area from Pisac to Ollantaytambo. Located along the Urubamba River, it was an important agriculture production center. You will visit the monumental stone fortress of Ollantaytambo and share with the inhabitants their language and customs. Meanwhile, in the artisan market of Pisac, you will witness great textile work and old trade habits.
Pick up from the airport in Cusco and transfer to your hotel (3,350m/10,991ft)
Tour Cusco, Sacsayhuaman, Kenko, Pucapucara, Tambomachay
Pick up from the lobby of your hotel. Visit the Cathedral of Cusco, Koricancha (or Temple of the Sun), the archaeological complex of Sacsayhuaman, and archeological sites of Kenko, Pucapucara, and Tambomachay. Return to your hotel.
Overnight in Cusco.
The Sacred Valley of the Incas (2,800m/9,184ft)
Pick up from the lobby of your hotel. Visit the artisan market and Archeological Site of Pisac. Buffet lunch in Yucay. Continue the tour visiting the Archaeological Site of Ollantaytambo and enjoy an amazing mountain view. Tour ends around 16:00 – 17:00. Transfer, on your own, to the Ollantaytambo Station (10min walk from Main Square) to take the Expedition Train departing at 19:00 and arriving to Aguas Calientes at 20:43. Transfer to your hotel in Aguas Calientes assisted by the hotel’s staff.
Overnight in Aguas Calientes.
The Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu (2,350m/7,710ft)
Your tour guide will pick you up from the lobby of your hotel to take the bus up to the Citadel of Machu Picchu early in the morning and explore the great “Lost City of the Incas” together. After your tour, we recommend you walk up, on your own, to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku to admire another amazing panoramic view of the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu or visit the Inca Bridge (optional).
After lunch (not included), take the bus down (last bus departs at 17:30), on your own, to Aguas Calientes and enjoy its natural hot springs (optional; not included in quote) and/or transfer, on your own, to the station to take the Expedition Train departing at 16:43 and arriving at 20:13 to Poroy (15-20min from Cusco). At your arrival, you will look for a sign with your name to be transferred to your hotel in Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco.
Pick up from your hotel and transfer to the airport in Cusco to take your flight back to Lima (morning or afternoon).
- This trip itinerary is available every day of the year.
- Acclimatization: we recommend you to rest for at least 3 hours upon arrival to your hotel; eat little, as digesting food might be a bit slow during your first day due to the altitude and to drink coca leaf tea, except for people who suffer from high blood preassure and heart problems.
- Weather: rainy season starts in mid-October and ends in mid-April in the Mountains and Jungle. January and February the heaviest months of rain. The best time of the year to visit Machu Picchu is from mid-April to mid-October.
- Trains: Expedition/Backpacker – tourist, Inca Rail Executive Class – superior, Vistadome – superior, Andean Railways Panoramic – superior, Inca Rail First Class – first class, Hiram Bingham – luxury.
- Luggage: you can leave unnecessary luggage at your hotel in Cusco when going to Machu Picchu per train luggage weight regulations (5kg/11pounds per person in a small carry-on or backpack).
- Sacred Valley Tour: the best days to enjoy the food market of Pisac are Sundays.
- Maras and Moray Tour: you can add this tour for US$ 30.00 per person. Includes transportation, guide, entrance tickets and visit to the natural salt mines of Maras and the agricultural laboratory of the Incas, Moray.
|5 Stars Deluxe
|Double Room||US$ 610||US$ 680||US$ 925||US$ 1,085|
|Additional for Single Room based on 2 travelers||US$ 165||US$ 240||US$ 385||US$ 535|
|Additional in private service||US$ 185||US$ 185||US$ 185||US$ 185|
|Included in Tour Price||Not included in Tour Price|
|Hotel accomodation according to itinerary||International and domestic flights|
|Meals according to itinerary||Visas required to enter Peru|
|All guided excursions in English||Airport Taxes|
|All tours and intermediate transfers||Drinks|
|All entrance tickets||Tips.|
|Bus and entrance tickets to Machu Picchu for 1 day||Airport transfers, hotel, and tours in Lima|
|Expedition Train to/from Aguas Calientes||Buffet Lunch at Belmond Santuary Lodge during Machu Picchu Tour|
|Entrance ticket to the mountains of Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu|